Wednesday, March 26, 2008

BLADES OF GLORY (2007)



I guess at one time I was a Will Ferrell fan. I still am. I think.

However, BLADES OF GLORY wasn’t a movie I was going to run out and see. Since I no longer subscribe to the pop culture machine as much as I used to, when the trailers first showed up on TV and the theaters, I shook my head and wondered why. Another one about a marginal sport? It also seemed slapdash, like it sat on the shelf for a while and was coming on the heels of the hit, TALLADEGA NIGHTS, which really blew.

Kind of like TEEN WOLF to BACK TO THE FUTURE.

It’s showing on HBO now and I caught it tonight. Well, not the whole thing. I kept getting pestered by my drunk family members into stoking fires, hooking up a record player and eating Bojangles chicken. The dog needed some attention as well. Not once did I ever get pissed about having to get up and quit watching the movie.

It was that bad.

But it had a few amusing parts. The first male/male skate competition to get to Montreal had a chuckle or to. Jenna Fischer is easy on the eyes. Jon Heder is quite annoying though.

Ferrell’s drunk macho man shtick is funny, always has been, but it is getting a bit tiresome.

But who cares? People like it. People can do what they want. But people are stupid too.

I probably saw a total of 35 minutes of the movie, walking in and out between the beginning and the ending. I feel like I watched the whole film.

And now, there’s SEMI-PRO. I think Ferrell is going to kill his career or re-make Leif Garrett’s foosball classic LONGSHOT (1981). One or the other, or possibly both.

No comments: